UPSET? NOPE: Gaels rely on size, dominate boards in win over Lynx

WEBSTER CITY – Robby Burke didn’t start the game, but he sure as heck finished it last night inside the WCHS gymnasium.

Fort Dodge St. Edmond’s 6-foot-6 senior center came off the bench less than two minutes into the game and then terrorized Webster City from that point on, as he scored 24 points in the fifth-ranked (Class 2A) Gaels 61-50 North Central Conference victory over the Lynx.

Athletic but not exactly tall, WCHS needed to be fundamentally sound on the boards to contain Burke and fellow interior player, 6-5 Konrad Laufersweiler, but too many times the Gaels (4-0, 4-0 NCC) got two, three and sometimes four looks at the basket.

It eventually took its toll on the Lynx (2-3, 2-2 NCC).

“The rebounding was a definite advantage for them and we were fundamentally poor,” WCHS head coach Marty McKinney said. “We didn’t box out, everybody just turned and jumped, and we can’t do that.”

Burke, who entered the game averaging better than 23 points per game while shooting 70 percent from the field, piled up 16 of his points during the first half to help St. Edmond build a 28-19 lead. The Gaels added to their advantage in the third quarter and went into the final period up 46-35.

Laufersweiler – like Burke a double-double machine this season – was limited to eight points. Robert Flattery had 11, while Matthew Bocken and Landon Peed both finished with nine for the visitors.

WCHS got its own quality bench production from senior point guard Trey Tesdahl and junior shooting guard Mason Myers.

Myers, making his season debut, buried his first 3-pointer from the wing in the first quarter and led the Lynx with 13 points. Tesdahl also knocked down a shot from long distance and put up 12 points to go along with five assists.

“Trey has been playing really well. He’s giving us a lift off the bench … he’s just been a real bright spot for us,” McKinney said. “It was nice to have Mason back, too. He looked fairly comfortable and we’ll get him back in the flow.”

Myers’ second triple brought WCHS within 17-16 with 3:50 remaining in the first half, but St. Edmond went on an 11-3 run and was never seriously threatened the remainder of the way.

McKinney was also frustrated with his team’s start. St. Edmond scored the game’s initial six points and went up 9-2 before Myers’ first 3 with 1:45 left in the opening period.

“We’ve got to come out with a little more fire offensively,” McKinney said.

Ben Mossman added seven points, Avery Fuhs had six and Alec Fuhs finished with five.